Thursday, April 1, 2010

Norma Meyers Thorne aka Grandma


I will always, always remember my Grandma. I will miss her dearly, but I know in my heart and mind she is truly in a better place. She is once again with the love of her life, Grandpa. Even though we will miss her, it will only seem like a moment in time before I see her and Grandpa again.

I want to share some of my memories of Grandma. Grandma was indeed special. She made each grandkid feel as if they were the most special. As each of grew, and developed our talents, she would help us along the way. Grandma actually was the one who helped me find my singing teacher when I was 12. She then would encourage me to continue singing and never lose my talent. Grandma would come to my theater shows when she could as well.

I remember Grandma's baked bread. To this day I can't figure out her recipe. I've tried over and over again to no avail. She made the best bread on earth. It was good with melted cheese, peanut butter, jam, or with melted butter. I also recall her canned raspberries. She would add coffee creamer to the raspberries to make them extra creamy. They were so delicious! I loved them and would ask for them whenever I saw them in her fridge. She also loved German Chocolate Cake. Whenever we came over for Sunday dinner, I would spot the desert lying on her kitchen counter. Without fail, a little sliver would be gone from the cake. Grandma told me she was checking to make sure the cake tasted just right. Of course the cake always did, but Grandma couldn't wait to eat her yummy cake.

Grandma loved to garden. I remember going over to her house in the spring and summer and walking around with her while she showed me and my mom all her beautiful flowers. Her favorite was purple iris'. She loved them so much, she never cut them. She wanted them to last as long as they could in her garden. She also loved lilacs.

Grandma was an avid bird watcher. Through all the seasons Grandma would put bird seed out on her window seal for the birds to eat. She would sit at her dinning table and watch idly as the birds came to eat the seeds. She had book after book about birds. She would name each species from memory too. When a new bird would come along, Grandma would share with us just how special it was to see the bird eating seeds from her window seal.

I also recall going to Hyrum Dam with her. The whole family would get together and go boating. Grandma would always bring the baked beans. They were so yummy! She'd add extra bacon so every time you had a scoop, you were sure to get some bacon with it.

I have so many memories of Grandma. She was truly a remarkable woman who will be missed dearly. I'm glad Sarah got to know Grandma too, if not only a little. I don't know if Sarah will remember her, but I'll be sure to pass down my memories of Grandma to her. I love you Grandma!!

3 comments:

Brooke said...

I'm sorry for your loss, but she is in a better place! Thanks for sharing your memories of your Grandma! It will be nice to look back at this one day! My heart and prayers goes out to you and your family at this time!

Gail said...

What precious pictures. Sarah will treasure them when she is older for sure!

Megs said...

I can't believe it, we were just talking about her!!! I have a memorie of going over to her house in the summer and mowing her lawn, you just barely got your DL. We spent a summer day over doing yard work. I love you Natalie if you need me for anything I am HERE!!!!