Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Canning Applesauce

Well, I inherited a lot of McIntosh apples from my mom over the weekend. I decided what better to do than can them? Well, I peeled them, wedged them, and turned them into applesauce. And...I'm only 1/2 through the box I took home with me. Making applesauce is a lot of work!!

I also didn't have a bathwater canning pot and rack system, so I had to buy one. I couldn't find one at Wal-Mart (it was a crap shoot anyway) so I bucked up and went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond where I found a huge 15 quart bathwater canning system. I also bought an apple peeler to make my life easier (or at least try to).

After 4 long hours, I had canned 7 quarts and one 1/2 pint of applesauce. Well, let's just say no one better scarf down this applesauce! It should be eaten very, very slowly and with great appreciation! What a lot of work.

Jordan was working on the basement, since our goal is to have it finished by Christmas. Anna had schoolwork to complete. I was left utterly alone to peel, core, mush/sauce, and can the applesauce. I don't think it would've taken 1/2 as long if I had help. But, it was my choice to bring home a large box of apples--and frankly the idea at the time sounded good.

I am grateful, however, that I was able to do this. It's been years since I've canned and I realized I had a lot of questions for my mom. I had her on the phone for 30 minutes late last night while I was trying to can in the bathwater canner. I wanted to make sure I was doing everything correctly so my cans would seal. Nothing would irk me more than do have done all this work just for the cans to fail. Before I went to bed late last night, most of the cans had already sealed. Yeah! Success!!

2 comments:

Megs said...

Yeah for them all sealing! When we get a place where I can cann we can do it together. (did you get that? A lot of "cans.") Good luck with the rest of the apples.

Brooke said...

Good luck with that :)